Status of Marsy's Law in Nevada
Currently, Nevada does contain some limited victims’ rights.
Marsy’s Law for Nevada was passed by the Nevada legislature in 2015 and must pass again in 2017 before being presented to voters in the November 2018 election. Marsy’s Law has achieved strong support in the state, most notably receiving the endorsement of Nevada Attorney General Adam Laxalt.
Everyday, hundreds of people in Nevada suffer at the hands of criminals. Then they suffer again – as victims, thrust into the complex judicial system and to navigate an unfamiliar court process. Marsy’s Law proposes a Constitutional Amendment securing permanent, enforceable rights of victims, but we need your help to move forward.
Get involved now by:
Additionally, you can help by contacting local media in support of Marsy’s Law!
Violent Crime In Your State: Did You Know?
Did you know, according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s (FBI) most recent “Crime in the United States” report, that in the state of Nevada there were:
- 16,824 violent crimes committed in 2013.
- 163 murders and non-negligent manslaughters committed in 2013.
- 1,418 rapes committed in 2013.
- 5,183 robberies committed in 2013.
- 10,060 aggravated assaults committed in 2013.
Source: Crime in the United States, By State, 2013, Federal Bureau of Investigation website.
Resources in Nevada
Additional Marsy’s Law For Nevada Supporters
“We thank the growing list of lawmakers, civic leaders, law enforcement, advocacy groups and citizens uniting to stand up for Nevada crime victims and their rights.”
NV Assembly Members:
- Daniele Monroe-Moreno-AD 1
- John Hambrick-AD 2
- Nelson Araujo-AD 3
- Jason Frierson-AD 8
- Steve Yeager-AD 9
- Paul Anderson-AD 13
- Tyrone Thompson-AD 17
- Ellen Spiegel-AD 20
- Melissa Woodbury-AD 23
- Amber Joiner-AD 24
- Jill Tolles-AD 25
- Lisa Krasner-AD 26
- Teresa Benitez-Thompson-AD 27
- Lesley Cohen-AD 29
- Michael Sprinkle-AD 30
- Skip Daly-AD 31
- Ira Hansen-AD 32
- Justin Watkins-AD 35
- James Oscarson-AD 36
- Jim Marchant-AD 37
- Robin Titus-AD 38
- Jim Wheeler-AD 39
- Al Kramer-AD 40
- Sandra Jauregui-AD 41
NV Senate Members:
- Denis Moises-SD 2
- Joyce Woodhouse-SD 5
- Patricia Farley-SD 8
- Becky Harris-SD 9
- Joe Hardy-SD 12
- Don Gustavson-SD 14
- Heidi Gansert-SD 15
- Ben Kieckhefer-SD 16
- James Settelmeyer-SD 17
- Scott Hammond-SD 18
- Pete Goicoechea-SD 19
- Michael Roberson-SD 20
Law Enforcement & Legal Experts:
- Steve Wolfson-Clark County District Attorney
- Clark County Sheriff Joe Lombardo-Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Chief Alex Perez-North Las Vegas Police
- Chief Troy Tanner-Mesquite Police
- Dep. Chief Scott Taylor-Mesquite Police
- Dep. Chief Gary Schofield-Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Sheriff Ron Pierini-Douglas County, Commander Rob Hall-Lyon County
- Sheriff Keith Logan-Eureka County
- Undersheriff Steve Albertsen-Carson City Police
- Captain Wade Seekatz-Henderson Police Department
- Sheriff Kerry Lee-Lincoln County
- Clark County Sheriff Doug Gillespie-Retired
- Clark County Sheriff Bill Young-Retired
- Capt. Bobby Chin-Retired Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Chief Joe Tillmon-Retired North Las Vegas Metro Police Department
- Dep. Chief Victor Dunn-Retired North Las Vegas Police
- Capt. Chris Larotonda- Retired North Las Vegas Police
- LVFD Fire Chief, David Washington-Retired
- Lt. Wayne Peterson-Retired LVMPD Homicide
- Jordan Ross-Laughlin Constable
Community & State Leaders:
- Adam Laxalt-NV Attorney General
- Mark Hutchison-NV Lieutenant Governor
- Mandy Simons-Elko City Council
- Chris Johnson-Elko Mayor
- Hillary Schieve-Reno Mayor
- David Bobzien-Reno City Council
- Chris Giunchigliani-Clark County Commissioner
- Marilyn Kirkpatrick-Clark County Commissioner
- Larry Brown-Clark County Commissioner
- Stavros Anthony-Las Vegas City Council
- Steve Ross-Las Vegas City Council
- Gerri Schroder-Henderson City Council
Advocacy Organizations & Leaders:
- 10,000 Kids
- Kim Amato, Baby’s Bounty Founder
- Alyson McCarthy, Philanthropy Exec. Dir.
- Deborah Costello, Police Wives of America
- David Schofield, Asian Pacific Police Assn.
- Asian Police Officers Association
- Black Police Officers Association
- Children’s Advocacy Alliance
- Committee to Aid Abused Women
- Family Promise of Las Vegas
- Gay and Lesbian Center of Las Vegas
- Hookers for Jesus
- Hanratty Law Group
- NV Network Against Domestic Violence
- NV Sheriffs & Chiefs Association
- New Hope Foundation International
- Police Athletic League of SO. NV.
- Police Protective Association/LVMPD
- Safe Embrace
- SAFE House
- Safe Nest
- Tu Casa Latina
- Volunteer Homeland Reserve Unit
- Winnemucca Domestic Violence Shelter
- Kim Schioldan, VP Security-Hakkasan Group